Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?

Author: Matt Bernstein
To: Tom
CC: Kevin P. Fleming, Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?
At 00:52 -0700 Tom wrote:

>It seems that a router with a suffix specification, removes the suffix
>from the localpart, and puts the suffix into an Exim variable. That is
>very useful normally (ex. filters, pipe transports, etc.) , but not so
>useful for LMTP.

An alternative to Phil's suggestion is to use a pair of routers, one of
which notes the suffix with:
local_part_suffix = /*
headers_add = X-Local-Part-Suffix: ${substr_1:$local_part_suffix}

..and the other works without a suffix. Then Cyrus users can Sieve away to
their hearts' content!

Matt

PS I opted for "/" as my suffix delimiter, and I've had mail from an Exim
admin claiming I'm breaking the RFCs. Would it be outrageous to suggest
that the default configuration file only rejects local-parts which begin
with "/" (and "|" too!) as it does with "."? As it is, the default file
breaks RFC2822 exactly for weirdos like me who try to pick something
obscure but acceptable. That said, I have to rewrite "--" to "/" since the
number of web forms which tell me that <mb/whatever@???> is an
illegal e-mail address is increasing...