Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?

Author: Tom
To: Kevin P. Fleming
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> > With LMTP, you have no choice: you must add p permission to anyone for
> > all sub-mailboxes, as there is no way to change the delivery user
> > identity.
>
> There most certainly is! Cyrus and Exim both support LMTP AUTH...
> using that, Exim can specify the delivery user to match the
> non-suffixed portion of the local part. This allows for direct
> subfolder delivery without any special ACLs. The only disadvantage of
> this method is that messages to be delivered to subfolders must be
> delivered one recipient at a time, which negates Cyrus' single
> instance store process for those messages. All other messages can be
> delivered as normal, though.

But how do you get Exim to pass the suffix to LMTP? I use a router to
match the local user plus a +* suffix, and then specify my LMTP transport
(I use LTMP over localhost TCP/IP). When I run Exim in verbose mode from
the command line, I see Exim send the message to Cyrus without the suffix.
It seems that a router with a suffix specification, removes the suffix
from the localpart, and puts the suffix into an Exim variable. That is
very useful normally (ex. filters, pipe transports, etc.) , but not so
useful for LMTP.