Re: [Exim] Very odd problem -- Only recieves from sendmail

Author: Xander D Harkness
To: Trevor Howe, exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Very odd problem -- Only recieves from sendmail
Trevor Howe wrote:

>Following Xanders advice I changed the priority from 0 to 5 on the MX record
>and tried the digs here are the results. Also I still cant recieve from my
>ISP account. Also Xander if u could explain using BT's server to check I
>would be much appreciated

I find it advantageous to use an external name server to check dns. It
is easy to check your own dns on your own network; however using a third
party's name servers can make sure that you have not firewalled off your
ports (which on your local net you might not notice)

If someone has saturated your Internet connection, for example having
just come back up following an outage you might have hundreds of mails
coming in from your backup mx server this might result in UDP traffic
being dropped in favour of TCP and hence your DNS becomes unavailable.

Many remote name servers do not allow hosts outside their network to
query them for domains that they are not authorative. ns1.bt.net is
open for queries, therefore if BT can obtain data from your name servers
then everyone else should be able to, unless they have other routing
problems.

You can also use http://www.dnsreport.com - which looks fine.

On the other side, NT and Solaris is a strange combination.

shawcable is the nameserver look ups you were doing and telnet
smail-cal.shawcable.com 25 gives:
220 bpd2mi1no.prod.shawcable.com -- Server ESMTP (iPlanet Messaging
Server 5.2 HotFix 1.16 (built May 14 2003))

Or have I lost the plot? :-)

I would email the admins at the ISP and ask them to send have a look at
the queue.

Kind regards
Xander