Re: [Exim] Very odd problem -- Only recieves from sendmail

Author: Xander D Harkness
To: Trevor Howe, exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Very odd problem -- Only recieves from sendmail
Trevor Howe wrote:

>--
>If anyone remembers I was having trouble recieving outside mail well I got my namersevers all pointed properly and I still dont have it working 100%. If I have friend use sendmail from his freeBSD machine (only setup as far as install takes it) then it gets too me no problem. If I have him send it from his ISP email I get nothing. I have no clue what is going on. Why can I only recieve mail if its sent from sendmail?

I have seen this before and the problem was with DNS. The windows boxes
were having difficulty picking up nameserver records. Even though port
53 was not firewalled they would routinely not properly report mx
priority when they did manage.

At the time I got round it by setting a script to query their name
servers repeatedly (every hour or so) for the mx, and other data.

You might find if you run:

dig isp.com ns

dig @ns1.isp.com ns14.zoneedit.com.
dig @ns1.isp.com mail.japplications.net. mx
dig @ns1.isp.com mail.japplications.net.

at all the ISPs name servers that you will get your mail next time you try.

It might even be that windows DNS has a bug that requires MX priority
greater than 0

As a test for my own DNS I usually use BT's servers (ns1.bt.net) as it
allows external recursion.

Kind regards
Xander