Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Tom
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?
[ On Monday, September 1, 2003 at 21:42:07 (-0700), Tom wrote: ]
> Subject: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?
>
> Normally people run Cyrus with an "accept" router than just accepts
> everything and dumps it into Cyrus over LMTP, and if a mailbox does not
> exist, Cyrus refuses it, and Exim creates a bounce.

That's a pretty silly way to do things! :-)

If your MTA knows authoritatively what mailboxes are valid (e.g. by way
of /etc/passwd, NIS, LDAP, or whatever), as it should so that it can
reject invalid recipients during the initial SMTP transaction, then it's
not very "productive" to allow Cyrus to bounce messages just because
someone forgot to create a Cyrus mailbox for the valid user.

I've got patches for Cyrus 1.6.x and now 2.1.15 which allow automatic
creation of mailboxes if the "autocreatequota" configuration variable is
set to something above zero. I'll be submitting the latest version of
these patches yet again to the Andrew software maintainers but I've no
confidence they will accept them this time (as they didn't accept the
similar 1.5 patches) so I'll offer them as-is to anyone who asks.

Note I'm still having trouble with getting my modified 2.1.15 version to
deliver to sub-folders with "deliver -m sub-folder user-id". Maybe it
works better with direct LMTP, but I'm not able to use LMTP yet.
Hopefully I'll get this worked out soon though.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>