Re: [Exim] Multiple addresses in a message.

Author: Enkidu
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple addresses in a message.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:01:33 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> When I try to send to two addresses (eg "a@???, e@???") I get
>> an error in the filter file "malformed address: , e@??? may not
>> follow a@???".
>>
>> Can someone please indicate what is going on here?
>
>Probably not unless you show us at least the part of your filter file
>that is trying to do this... however, sometimes I'm good at guessing...
>
>Have you got
>
> deliver "a@???, e@???"
>
>in your filter? If so, that is your problem. You should have
>
> deliver a@???
> deliver e@???

I hesitate to demonstrate my ignorance once again, but if you don't
ask you don't get told, and you don't learn.

Thanks, Philip, I understand now what the error means but I don't know
what to do about it.

I have a PC running Agent which is configured to use my Exim box for
mail - dragging down mail by POP3 (qpopper), sending mail to the Exim
box via SMTP for further distribution..

When the PC running Agent sends to two recipients the Exim variable
$h_To: contains the string "a@???, e@???". When the system
filter processes the addresses the $recipients also contains this.

My system filter does some checks and then does a "deliver $h_To:" and
the error occurs.

Am I correct so far?

If so I'm pretty sure this would be a common situation. And I don't
think that amy coding should be required. My conclusion therefore is
that I have configured something wrong. Or I'm trying to do something
the wrong way.

Sooo.. my options are
a) find out where I've misconfigured it
b) handle the error somehow

For a), I've studied the docs until I'm dizzy, but I still haven't
started to approach the learing plateau. I'm thinking that it might be
somewhere in the local domains defs. I've defined all my Domains, the
Internet one and the local Intranet one.

For b), the string containing the list of addresses is I believe
contained in $h_To: and I guess $recipients. but I currently can't
figure out how extract the addresses from the variables so that I can
deliver to the first address, and deliver seperately to the second
address.

Is there an option c)?

Cheers,

Cliff