Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Ben-Nes Michael
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble? [OT]
Subject: Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?
> > IIRC, it was Henry Ford who made the first car (Interestingly, I have 2
> > Fords).
> >

> Sorry but your wrong :(
>
> 1885 - Gottlieb Daimler invented what is often recognized as the prototype
> of the modern gas engine - with a vertical cylinder, and with gasoline
> injected through a carburetor (patented in 1887). Daimler first built a
> two-wheeled vehicle the "Reitwagen" (Riding Carriage) with this engine and a
> year later built the world's first four-wheeled motor vehicle.
>
> Henry started manufacturing 24 year after the first French car factory
> opened.

Would I have been right if I had added "in america"?

> Any way sometimes patents are good as they protect the small inventor from
> corporate theft.

Unless that corporate is microsoft, then they just buy out the small guy. =)

> I don't really think exim is under threat of some kind, open source is very
> strong concept.

You can think of Philip as the company and exim as the product. He charges
0$ per copy. That doesn't seem to me any different than paying 100$ for a
software package and getting everything (source included). Of course, the
licence on the 100$ is different and doesn't let you distribute it back out.

Compare Exim to say communigate. Both tranport mail around (I know
communigate is a full mail package with pop3 etc, but I'm using it here just
for comparison) Exim cost nothing, communigate cost something. In a way,
exim competes with communigate. Lets say communigate patents (I doubt it
would happen) the mail transport mechinism. What happens then? Communigate
(company) could see exim as a competitor.