Re: [Exim] Autoreply transport resulting in DEFER

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Jan-Peter Koopmann
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Autoreply transport resulting in DEFER
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

> I am trying to setup an autoreply with Exim 4.20. After some tweaking
> the router finally creates a message with the autoreply transport but
> this message is not being sent out. All I get is

> 39356 address_reply transport returned DEFER for
> ><j.koopmann@???>

That's the problem. You need to find out why it did that. Maybe running
with a higher debug level would help.

> This strongly resembles the problem Simon Alman reported in the list
> October 2002. Unfortunately I could not find the resolution to the
> problem. Any ideas? What troubles me is that the autogenerated message
> gets put into the local delivery queue. This should be a remote delivery
> as well, should it not?

An auto-reply is a "delivery" to a "local transport" that does not in
fact transport the message; instead it creates a new message, and hands
it to Exim. It all happens locally. That is why it is a local transport.

The remote delivery is what happens to the newly-created message.