Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Tim Jackson wrote:

| Hi Chris, on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:10:33 +0100 (BST) you wrote:

| > The sample below came from mailscanner running at visuallink.com, who
| > have *no business* originating email as postmaster@???
| > I'm sad to see mailscanner has now incorporated this `feature'.

| Really? That's part of the "real" MailScanner distro? Cripes, that is
| *badly* out of order! If it's for real (and hasn't been hacked in by some
| silly user), I'm astonished that the (apparently knowledgeable) people
| behind MailScanner have built in such an idiotic "feature".

Well...

A while ago there was a spate of these - sending the allegation from
postmaster at the innocent victim's site. In other words, trying to trick
the innocent victim into thinking that *I* am the accuser.

It seemed to be coming from some piece of commercial junk. Hadn't seen
one for some while.

Then yesterday got that one from a site running mailscanner. My first
thought was that mailscanner had added this as a `feature'. But this
appears to NOT be the case. This one site must somehow hacked their own
setup to do this.

So I must apologise for dissing mailscanner.

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service