Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Tim Jackson wrote:

> I don't think I've seen that but, as with Chris's mention yesterday of
> virus scanners faking postmaster@victim addresses, that really does make
> me want to wring the neck of some programmers. Really, if they think stuff
> like that is OK, they have no business writing software that is
> sold/intended to be part of an organisation's security.

Indeed. As I spotted a Usenet acquaintance (Jim Ley) remarking just
now on a newsgroup:

| There's nothing clueful people can do to stop the idiots, there are
| things clueful people can do to stop some of the fallout, instead of
| ~100 virus warnings, I should not have seen any...

which I think says it very well.

> Thanks, I've added those :) Maybe I should maintain this list on my
> website...? Anyone else find it useful?

It's a generous offer, if you're willing (maybe others should send you
a private mail to confirm their interest before you decide to go for
it?)

> > I'm thinking that any envelope-sender which begins "NAVMSE-" can be
> > killed on sight, ??
>
> Is that what the Norton AV for Sexchange sets its envelope sender to?

I guess so. I've blacklisted a whole wodge of them here, one by one
as their stuff came in. I was thinking of writing a spam-rating
snippet for it. Just at random:

NAVMSE-EURCLS01-MAIL@???
NAVMSE-NTSLASER01@???
NAVMSE-LEVPO1@???
NAVMSE-GALAYOR1@???
NAVMSE-NH-33015-EXCH02@???

and so on.

Incidentally, re. Chris E's remark on counterfeiting the intended
recipient as envelope sender, I'm pretty sure that one cluster of
incidents that we spotted in our log had developed from a site that
tried to send us an anti-virus report complete with a copy of the
virus, we rejected it and then they tried to compose a fresh
anti-virus report for their own report which we'd rejected, again the
report came with a copy of the virus, which we again rejected... you
get the drift.

Oh well, if one can't take a joke then one has no business getting
into this game, I suppose.

cheers