Re: [Exim] differentiate between local and outside users

Author: Keith G. Murphy
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] differentiate between local and outside users
deshmukh@??? wrote:

> hello all
>
> i am new to linux and exim. so, my questions may appear to be basic.
>
> i have gone thru the docs and could not find answer to this.
>
> at home, i have one pc on which all my family members are users. but we all
> have only one isp account. so we all use it for outgoing mails. for incoming
> mails, we have separate accounts.
>
> my exim set-up was done using exim-config smarthost option. i have only
> changed the smtp auth required by my isp in /etc/exim/exim.conf.
>
> i also added these entries
>
> sandip: sandip@???
> father: sandip@???
> daughter: sandip@???
>
> in /etc/email-addresses.
>
> without this, we are not able to send messages to outside world.
>
> with this setup we can send messages to outside world without any problem.
> we can send messages to eachother also.
>
> however, when i get a message from my daughter, it seems to be coming from
> sandip@???. i think it is the entry in /etc/email-addresses thats
> doing this.
>
> how do i prevent it from happening?

I am assuming that your daughter in this case is on your local system.

Take a look at this:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_34.html#SEC740

I think what you would do is move the rewriting rule at the bottom of
your exim.conf file up to the remote_smtp transport section. It would
look something like this:

rewrite_headers *@your_hostname_here \
${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                         {$value}fail} bcfrF

Mind you, I haven't tried it...