Re: [Exim] unkown Router

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dicky Underwater
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] unkown Router
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Dicky Underwater wrote:

> Although exim –bt works fine and correctly identifies where the mail should
> go to when actually sending a mail the unknown router for some reason gets
> skipped and bounces the mail.
>
> Below is the debug output when running exim –d -bd
>
> 13107 --------> localuser router <--------
> 13107 local_part=admin.help domain=xxx.com
> 13107 checking for local user
> 13107 localuser router skipped: admin.help is not a local user
> 13107 --------> unknown router <--------
> 13107 local_part=admin.help domain=xxx.com
> 13107 unknown router skipped: verify 2 0 0
> 13107 no more routers
> 13107 ----------- end verify ------------
> 13107 accept: condition test failed
> 13107 accept: endpass encountered - denying access
> 13107 SMTP>> 550 unknown user
> 13107 LOG: MAIN REJECT
> 13107 H=zzz.com (i) [111.111.111.111] F=<test@???> rejected RCPT
> <admin.help@???>: Unrouteable address

Exim isn't sending a message, it is verifying an address when receiving
a message. I guess that your router has no_verify on it; this is common
on "catch all" routers, because without it, *any* address is verifyable.
This destroys the whole point of trying to verify addresses on incoming
mail.

You may need something more complicated: read up about verify_sender and
verify_recipient. You may want no_verify_recipient instead of no_verify.
Or you may want to disable recipient verification in your ACL.