Re: [Exim] retry rule pattern

Author: Philip Hazel
To: j.linn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] retry rule pattern
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, j.linn wrote:

> Exim 4-20
>
> As I read the EXIM 4 book, [pages 274-278], for the Retry Rule Pattern
> with an error field type of "quota", the address that is available for
> checking is the recipient address.

Yes, it's the address whose delivery failed.

> I would find it useful if this was the sender address OR that the field
> would accept a condition where I could specifiy the string variable I
> wanted to check against. I would need to know which ones were set at that
> point.

I never thought of the possibility of basing retry rule choices on
anything other than the recipient address that had failed.

Retry processing happens at the end of delivery. At that stage, Exim has
a list of temporarily failed recipient addresses and the associated
errors. So it's not like routing, where only one address is handled at a
time. Variables like $domain_data that are set while routing one address
are not available.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I suspect it just
doesn't fit well with the way Exim handles this.

However, since the address is matched using the standard "address list"
matching rules, which means that it is expanded before use, you could
make use of $sender_address. At least, I think something like

"${if eq{$sender_address}{xxx}{*@*}{no@no}}" quota ...

might work (where "no@no" is a dummy that will never match anything).