Re: [Exim] SMTP+SPF

Author: David Saez
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP+SPF
Hi !!

> This is a totally ridiculous statement. I don't run mail for any sort of
> job. I get paid by 2 people to do it, and I don't get paid enough by them
> to stop their spam. In my day job, I'm a programmer, not a mailadmin.

well, first, this message was not addressed to you. Second, if you do not
get paid enough for that job, maybe it will be better that you stop loosing
your time in such non productive discussions.

> SPF hasn't addressed null-senders, and doesn't address forwarding (both of
> which I use heavily. It is therefore, currently, a deficient solution.

Well, this problem has been addressed. The solution does not look very good
but will work. In my personal opinion it's a problem that must be solved in
a better way but it's not a unsolved problem.

> It is also an I-D, and I-Ds should not be implemented on a wide scale before
> they hit the standards track, and start actually being published.

nobody asks you to do so.

> And your reasons have been unconvincing

I have no interest on convincing you, really.

> "well, I get forged spam, and this
> won't break any of my users' legitimate mail".

nor spf nor dmp will not break your users legitimate mail.

> Actually most of the forgeries
> I used to get were from random local-parts at my domain,

well .... no comment ....

> This was fixed by fixing the "*" rule in my aliasfile.

you'd better use smtp auth. Looks like your problem was another one, when
I speak about email forgery I mean that anybody could use your email address
as the envelope sender to send email using another server (not yours). It's
obvious that your fix in your aliasfile has nothing to do to stop this.

--
Best regards ...

You go to heaven...God sneezes... What do you say?

   On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david@???
   Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
   08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53