Re: [Exim] "SMTP protocol violation: synchronization" error…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Scott Dexter
CC: Exim-Users, Dennis Davis
Subject: Re: [Exim] "SMTP protocol violation: synchronization" error when using TLS with Outlook on a port other than 25?
On 1 Aug 2003, Scott Dexter wrote:

> I've had issues running the second instance of exim on the alternate
> port. I run the inital one port 25, no problems. When i run "exim -bd
> -oX 465 -tls-on-connect" It doesn't seem to attach to port 465 and
> instead seems (according to maillog) to be trying to attach to 25?

Have you tried

exim -d -bd -oX 465 -tls-on-connect

The -d will cause debugging output. That should show why it is listening
on the ports it is listening to.

> I found it, for those who are wondering:
>
> exim -bd -oX '[0.0.0.0]::465' -tls-on-connect
>
> That way to doesn't conflit with the existing servers IP.

If you use -oX like that, it overrides the setting of local_interfaces
in the configuration. This supports the posted hypothesis that inside
your configuration you are explicitly requesting port 25. What is the
output of

exim -bP local_interfaces

?