Re: [Exim] SMTP+SPF

Author: David Saez
To: konrad, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP+SPF
Hi !!

> This would mean that I would have to get EasyDNS to publish SPF
> information for my home domain which included all the possible IP
> addresses from which mail from this domain could emanate? What happens
> if I'm on business in, say, Copenhagen, making use of the Hotel's
> internet connection, which means that mail will not be emanating from
> the IP addresses listed in the SPF information?

you only have to publish SPF info for the machine that you use to
relay mail, not for the ip you are using to send email. Usually people
send email (using Outlook,Eudora,etc..) to a relay server (i.e running
Exim), in that case as you have authenticated to the server it will
not use SPF to test your ip. The only case that it will be a 'problem'
for mobile users is when that user try to directly send the mail to
the destination servers, which is a very bad idea as it will be
originated
at a dialup ip's and thus will be rejected by some servers. If you
really insist on doing that, then you could a) do not publish spf info
for your domain or b) publish spf info allowing any ip to use your
domain.

BTW there are LOTS of reasons to avoid directly sending mail to
destination servers and use a good server for relaying.

--
Best regards ...

Does fuzzy logic tickle?

   On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david@???
   Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
   08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53