Re: [Exim] Second stab at supporting Cyrus SASL's saslauthd

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alexander Sabourenkov
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Second stab at supporting Cyrus SASL's saslauthd
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Alexander Sabourenkov wrote:

> This patch against 4.20 adds the saslauthd condition, which is like pwcheck,
> but not entirely.

I've put it on my work list.

> With sub-curly-braces I got rid of possibility of encountering ':' in password
> or elsewhere (by which i was once bitten), but now none of the fields can
> contain '{' or '}'. Not that curly braces are that common in passwords, but
> nevertheless is there any way to somehow escape curly braces?

With something like

> server_condition = ${if saslauthd{{$2}{$3}}{1}{0}}

This should not matter, because Exim does not re-expand the data that it
inserts. (Only if you wrap it inside ${expand: does it do this.) Have
you tried a password that contains braces? I would expect it to work.

I think, however, that we should keep the syntax of pwcheck and
saslauthd the same. The former is

${if pwcheck{user:password}

which forbids a colon in the username, but not in the password.

In retrospect, that was probably a bad idea, even though colons in user
names are unlikely. Maybe I should modify pwcheck to allow the
alternative syntax and deprecate the old syntax.