Re: [Exim] POP Question (daemon user)

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Carlos Molina Molina
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] POP Question (daemon user)
On (2003/07/25 15:56), Carlos Molina Molina wrote:

>                daemon -f /local1/usr/local/sbin/popb4smtp-watch &&
>                    echo -n ' popb4smtp-watch'
>                daemon -f /local1/usr/local/sbin/popb4smtp-clean &&
>                    echo -n ' popb4smtp-clean'

[...]
> This work, but not at the 100 %, the reason it's that the daemon "user" (I
> thing that), doen't exits in my sistem (Sun Solaris). I thing that it's for
> linux, my question is : exist this codigo for Solaris??? or how can I do
> this??? this it's urgent.

That looks like the stuff I wrote a while back.

It relies on the daemon(8) utility, which exists in FreeBSD and Linux
but is _not_ mandated by POSIX and doesn't appear on Solaris.

Just do this:

    ( /local1/usr/local/sbin/popb4smtp-watch & ) &&
        echo -n ' popb4smtp-watch'
    ( /local1/usr/local/sbin/popb4smtp-clean & ) &&
        echo -n ' popb4smtp-clean'

That will work with any POSIX-conformant shell.

Please let me know where you found this stuff so I can notify the
distributor of this issue. If you just found it in the mailing list
archives, then I don't care because anyone else who has this problem
will find this answer in the archives too. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.