Re: [Exim] local_interfaces ques . . .

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_interfaces ques . . .
[Quoting fixed, don't you read from top to bottom?]
On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:12:21PM +0100, Konrad Michels wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:56, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:19:05AM +0100, Konrad Michels wrote:

>>[question]
>[correct answer]

>> <rant>I was able to answer your question just by opening spec.txt in
>> my pager and searching for the string "interface". After less than
>> three minutes I had found the answer.

>> What is the point in Phil writing excellent documentation if ppl
>> aren't reading it?</rant>

> I appreciate your rant, and I also did a search in Phil's excellent
> documentation from which I have already learned masses! However,
> sometimes its a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees,
> especially after spending the last 20 hours on stop trying to convince
> RackSpace that the IP they've given you IS blacklisted and that you want
> another one! In cases like this sometimes it just takes a gentle nudge
> in the right direction: that way we all learn, and having learned this,
> I won't be needing to ask the question again.

Sadly it is impossible to differ between people too lazy to read and
people "not being able to see the wood for the trees". I still think
that my guess had much better odds (1:6) as finding the answer was
easy.

> But be assured, someone, sometime will ask it again, and we can either
> jump down their necks, or help them by giving them an idea of what to
> look for, even if we don't give the complete answer.

Did I "jump down your neck?" If I did I apologize. It was supposed
to sound irritated and be a mild LART.

> The only way you
> become any good at Exim is by doing, and sometimes the best way of
> learning is to get someone to help you along, even if the temptation is
> great to tell them to RTFM!

I did answer your question, didn't I? I completely agree that a
unspecific "RTFM" is futile.
              cu andreas