Re: [Exim] local_interfaces ques . . .

Author: Konrad Michels
To: Andreas Metzler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_interfaces ques . . .
Hi Andreas
I appreciate your rant, and I also did a search in Phil's excellent
documentation from which I have already learned masses! However,
sometimes its a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees,
especially after spending the last 20 hours on stop trying to convince
RackSpace that the IP they've given you IS blacklisted and that you want
another one! In cases like this sometimes it just takes a gentle nudge
in the right direction: that way we all learn, and having learned this,
I won't be needing to ask the question again.

But be assured, someone, sometime will ask it again, and we can either
jump down their necks, or help them by giving them an idea of what to
look for, even if we don't give the complete answer. The only way you
become any good at Exim is by doing, and sometimes the best way of
learning is to get someone to help you along, even if the temptation is
great to tell them to RTFM!

Its not like I was asking why I could pick up mail with my pop3 client
after installing Exim . . .

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:56, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:19:05AM +0100, Konrad Michels wrote:
> > Got a machine which has two IP addresses, one bound as eth0, and the
> > other as eth0:0.
>
> > I've used the local_interfaces option to set exim to listen to eth0:0 as
> > follows:
>
> > local_interfaces = <; 127.0.0.1 ; xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> > This seems to force Exim to listen only on eth0:0 (the x's being eth0's
> > IP address).
>
> Yes, see the description of local_interfaces in the documentation.
>
> > However, outgoing mail is still emanating only from eth0,
> > which is exactly the thing I want to change. I need to get mail to go
> > out via eth0:0 and not eth0. Is local_interfaces the way to make this
> > happen?
>
> No. You need to set the "interface" option on the respective transport
> instead.
>
> <rant>I was able to answer your question just by opening spec.txt in
> my pager and searching for the string "interface". After less than
> three minutes I had found the answer.
>
> What is the point in Phil writing excellent documentation if ppl
> aren't reading it?</rant>
>              cu andreas
> --
> "See, I told you they'd listen to Reason," [SPOILER] Svfurlr fnlf,
> fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
> Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"

> --

*