Re: [Exim] IPv6 addr building

Author: Pascal
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] IPv6 addr building
--- "ODHIAMBO G. Washington" <wash@???> a écrit :
> Simple. Just ask the DNS admin for the namespace etsmtl.ca to fix this. S/he will
> know better why that is happening.
> The problem is in the zone files, and a trailing dot (.) is missing somewhere. Since
> the names are too long, I am not able to tell you specifically where the dot is
> missing.

actually what was happening :
- Exim was asking for AAAA carmin.ad.etsmtl.ca
- the DNS was answering with the "No Error" flag
- Exim was asking for AAAA carmin.ad.etsmtl.ca.ext.etsmtl.ca (ext.etsmtl.ca being my search zone
in /etc/resolv.conf)
- the DNS was answering with the "No such name" flag.
- Exim was falling back to IPv4 and it resolved

With Exim that was alrite, but it seems that some sendmail servers didn't like that at all.
So the DNS admin added IPv6 entries for the 4 mail servers and now :
- Exim asks for AAAA carmin.ad.etsmtl.ca
- the DNS answers 142:142:137:137:3:3:41:41
- Exim asks for A carmin.ad.etsmtl.ca
- the DNS answers 142.137.3.41

I hope that will fix the problems we were having with some sendmail servers (cybersurf.com for
example).

Thanks for your help.
-Pascal