Re: [Exim] pri/sec MX on same machine to catch spam

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] pri/sec MX on same machine to catch spam
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Wakko Warner wrote:

> Some spammers will hit the primary once and never try again. Since the host
> hasn't been seen before, the message won't come through. Some spammers will
> only hit the secondary server. If they do, the secondary will check the DB
> and if it hasn't seen this host, assume it's a spam and blacklist.

... and when your primary interface hardware breaks?

... and when your secondary inferface hardware breaks?

... and when there's a screwup in somebody's router so that only the
secondary IP address is reachable?

OK, relatively unlikely, especially if there's only one interface with 2
IP addresses. But I would be scared of this kind of thing.