Re: [Exim] Multiline log_message (Exim 4.20, bug?)

Author: Lutz Pressler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiline log_message (Exim 4.20, bug?)
I wrote:
> in an Exim setup with exiscan rejecting messages classified as spam within
> the data acl, it's important to have the SpamAssassin report (tests that
> matched etc.) logged.

Ok, after some more thinking I found a solution for that (see below).
> If I understand the spec (37.11 ACL modifiers) and more verbose book
> section correctly, all lines of the log_message modifier should turn
> up in the reject log, contrary to message (if message set, log_message
> unset) - where only the first line is used:

> If "log_message" is not present and there is no underlying error message
> (for example, from the failure of address verification), but "message" is
> present, the "message" text is used for logging rejections. However, if it
> contains newlines, only the first line of the text is logged. In the
> absence of both "log_message" and "message", a default built-in message is
> used.

> My interpretation is that "only the first line of the text is logged" is
> for message in contrast to log_message.

> That's not what's happening though. Is it an implementation bug?

.. but the question of interpretation remains.

> If my intepretation should be wrong, how is one supposed to log e.g.
> $spam_report?

I'm using log_message = SPAM ($spam_score) ${tr {$spam_report}{\n}{#}}
now.

Lutz

--
  _              |  Lutz Pressler          |  Tel: ++49-551-3700002
 |_     |\ |     |  Service Network GmbH   |  FAX: ++49-551-3700009