[Exim] Multiline log_message (Exim 4.20, bug?)

Author: Lutz Pressler
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Multiline log_message (Exim 4.20, bug?)
Hi,

in an Exim setup with exiscan rejecting messages classified as spam within
the data acl, it's important to have the SpamAssassin report (tests that
matched etc.) logged. Tried to do that with log_message in the
acl construct, but to no avail. Reason seems to be, that only one line
of log_message is logged (contrary to the documentation, I think).

Testing without reference to $spam_report (which does lead to multiline
550s anyway): excerpt from data acl

deny message = This message has been classified as SPAM ($spam_score
points).\n further text\nanother line
     log_message = SPAM\nline2
     spam = nobody:true
     condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{40}{1}{0}}

If I understand the spec (37.11 ACL modifiers) and more verbose book
section correctly, all lines of the log_message modifier should turn
up in the reject log, contrary to message (if message set, log_message
unset) - where only the first line is used:

If "log_message" is not present and there is no underlying error message
(for example, from the failure of address verification), but "message" is
present, the "message" text is used for logging rejections. However, if it
contains newlines, only the first line of the text is logged. In the
absence of both "log_message" and "message", a default built-in message is
used.

My interpretation is that "only the first line of the text is logged" is
for message in contrast to log_message.

That's not what's happening though. Is it an implementation bug?
If my intepretation should be wrong, how is one supposed to log e.g.
$spam_report?

Help needed, thanks,
Lutz

--
  _              |  Lutz Pressler          |  Tel: ++49-551-3700002
 |_     |\ |     |  Service Network GmbH   |  FAX: ++49-551-3700009