Re: [Exim] Can't connect to exim from client

Author: Fernando Sanchez
To: Dave Wilson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Can't connect to exim from client
Hi Dave,

Dave Wilson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm rather new to exim and linux so sorry if this is a silly question.
>
> I have a remote user who is having trouble connecting his outlook client to
> pick up his mail (pop3).

remember, pop3 is not the same as smtp (the protocol implemented by
exim). POP3 is a mailbox protocol for retrieving mail. SMTP is a
protocol to send mail from one machine to another.

> The logs simply state:
> ------
> SMTP command timeout on connection from [remote-user-machine-ip-address-etc]
> ------

When you try to send a message from your remote client, does the message
goes thruogh or it gives you an error? what is *that* error?

> The mail server is behind a firewall with a tunnel opened from the remote
> users ip (simple port forwarding).

is it fowarding port 25? You could test if this is working with a telnet
to the sever from the remote client to port 25 (telnet my.server 25) you
should be able to read a welcome message, If it doesn't work there is
some problem with your fw config