[Exim] Re: eximconfig gone

Author: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: eximconfig gone
--
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:50:47AM +0000, Alessandro Magni wrote:
| I tried installing Exim after banging my head against sendmail for some time:
| it was heralded as being much more easier to configure (blame LinuxGazette
| for this!)
| Now I installed v.4.20 and was sooooo disappointed to find that the program
| eximconfig is gone! Oh, why?

'eximconfig' was a perl script created by the previous person who
created the debian package. The script generated v3 config files,
which don't work with version 4. I have heard that the code wasn't
pretty (but I never looked for myself). As for debian, using
'debconf' is actually better than having a separate script. It's a
good thing that script passed away :-).

| I'm not completely dumb at system configuration, but really trying to work my
| way down into /etc/exim.conf is too much. Is there some way to
| a) to have eximconfig back, or

First learn the exim configuration file, then code a new 'eximconfig'
to work with the v4 configuration :-).

-D

--
For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/