Re: [Exim] filters

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steven Pokrandt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] filters
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Steven Pokrandt wrote:

> I did see the problem with NO from statement. and fixed that.. correct
> me If I'm wrong here
> but the filter MUST be in a data statement instead of a file.. because
> the file will not have the variables expanded.
> or is there a way to tell exim to expand the variables in a file..

Not sure exactly what question you are asking here, but I think you are
under a wrong assumption. If you have a filter such as

# Exim filter
if $sender_address is ....

that is, the filter references Exim variables, there is no reason why
that filter cannot be put into a file and referenced with

file = /some/file

in the redirect router configuration. When the filter is interpreted,
the strings will be expanded and the values of the variables
substituted.

On the other hand, you can equally store the text of the filter,
including the newlines, in a database, and set

data = ${lookup ......

The only difference between "file" and "data" is an extra level of
indirection for "file". In both cases, the value set for the option is
expanded; for "file" it is interpreted as the name of a file that
contains the text of the filter; for "data" it is interpreted as the
text of the filter itself.

But after that, once Exim has found the text of the filter, its manner
of interpretation is identical; strings within the filter are always
expanded.