Re: [Exim] rewriting, redirecting, and the sendmail "+ hack"

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Noah Meyerhans
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewriting, redirecting, and the sendmail "+ hack"
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> So I'm still not convinced that quotes are necessary.

The ${quote: operator in Exim is very conservative. It quotes if the
text contains anything other than letters, digits, underscores, dots,
and hyphens.

An unquoted local part may in addition contain ! # $ % & ' * + / = ? ^ `
{ | } and ~.

I cannot now remember why ${quote: was so restrictive; I think it may
have been trying to be very general for all kinds of situations, not
just local parts.

I suppose there could be ${quote_localpart: as well, if people feel
strongly about this.