Re: [Exim] rewriting, redirecting, and the sendmail "+ hack"

Author: Noah Meyerhans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewriting, redirecting, and the sendmail "+ hack"
--
On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 01:43:15PM +0200, Kirill Miazine wrote:
> Ok, then you chose to shoot yourself in the leg. (I see nothing improper
> with quotes around the local part.) You have $local_part_suffix! It is
> much more "dangerous" than $local_part in this case. It can contain
> anything. Say you send a message to
>
>     "user+foo bar"@???

> (Note the space in the local part suffix and quotes around the local part.)
>
> Your map decides that mail to user@??? should go to
> luser@???. With the local part suffix, that would result
> in the following final addresses:
>
>     * With ${quote:

>         "lusr+foo bar"@???

>     * Without ${quote:

>         luser+foo bar@???

> No further comments are needed, I hope.

None needed, except that neither exim nor sendmail would let an
recipient of the form user+foo bar@??? go through as is.
sendmail will substitute a '.' for the space, and treat the address as
though user+foo.bar@??? was given. Exim will not let it in at
all:
rcpt to:<noahm+foo nlm@???>
501 <noahm+foo nlm@???>: "@" or "." expected after "noahm+foo"

Interestingly enough, sendmail (which I assume is running on
server1.example.com, since the user is using the + hack) will choke on
recipients of the form "luser+foo bar"@???, though it
will accept and do the right thing with "luser+foo"@???
or even luser+foo bar@??? (as I said above, it replaces
the ' ' with a '.')

So I'm still not convinced that quotes are necessary.

> > Cute, huh?
>
> I am not at all familiar with Sendmail, sorry.

You don't need to be; I just posted that to show just how ugly sendmail
configuration can get. That's a big part of the reason why I want to
use Exim in the future.

noah