[Exim] Re: call-out from command-line

Author: Rutger van Oosten
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: call-out from command-line
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote in
news:Pine.SOL.4.44.0307110957390.12425-100000@???:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Rutger van Oosten wrote:
>
>> I've been looking for a command-line option to let exim do e-mail
>> address verification via a call-out. Is this at all possible?...
>
> There is no way do to it from Exim. If you use -bh to simulate an SMTP
> call from another host, it goes through some of the motions, but it
> doesn't actually do the callout itself. I didn't think this kind of
> testing should impact on other hosts.

That's a shame.. Can you confirm that the code to do it is already there
(in src/verify.c)? Maybe I could do a small patch that adds the option
(just for myself, if you are not interested).

The reason for this is that we need to check addresses that people fill in
when opting-in for our mailing lists. This will save us from generating
unnecessary e-mails and will hopefully cut down the number of bounces we
get back.