Re: [Exim] STARTTLS and signal 11

Autor: Kirill Miazine
A: redmyrlin
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] STARTTLS and signal 11
redmyrlin wrote:
> I recently started getting "frozen" messages when trying to connect to a
> particular mail server.
>
> Previously I had had no trouble, but I believe the mail server for the
> particular domain has just changed.

Yes. It has. Recently.

> The relevant part of the debug message shows:
> Connecting to smtp.us.messagingengine.com [66.111.4.20]:25 ... connected
>
> read response data: size=36
>  SMTP<< 220 mail.messagingengine.com ESMTP
>  SMTP>> EHLO myHostName
> read response data: size=155
>  SMTP<< 250-mail.messagingengine.com
>         250-PIPELINING
>         250-SIZE 10120000
>         250-ETRN
>         250-STARTTLS
>         250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN OTP
>         250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN OTP
>         250 8BITMIME
> 66.111.4.20 in hosts_avoid_tls? no (option unset)
>  SMTP>> STARTTLS
> read response data: size=24
>  SMTP<< 220 Ready to start TLS
> Initialized TLS
> Calling SSL_connect
> SSL_connect succeeded
> reading pipe for subprocess 75562 (not ended)
> read() yielded 0
> remote delivery process 75562 ended: status=000b
> set_process_info: 75561 delivering 19YExa-000Ptt-9Z
> post-process me@??? (1)
> LOG: MAIN
>  == me@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-1):
> smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x000b: terminated by
> signal 11
> I added the line

>     hosts_avoid_tls=*

> to my remote_smtp transport in the exim configure file and this cured
> the problem.
>
> I think what has happened here is that previously the receiving smtp
> server didn't advertise TLS capability, so my server connected without
> SSL. Now, on the new server, it does advertise TLS capability so my
> server tries to initiate an SSL link which fails because I have not
> set up my OpenSSL correctly.
>
> Has anyone else come across this behaviour? And what exactly is signal 11?

I just performed a test. No traces of your problem at all:

    xxxxxx@??? R=reroute T=remote_smtp H=smtp.us.messagingengine.com \
        [66.111.4.20] X=TLSv1:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:168

You said yourself that you have not set up OpenSSL correctly (whatever
that means). Why did you compile Exim with TLS support then?

--
Kirill Miazine
mailto:km@krot.org