[Exim] Fwd: Warning: message 19RjU9-0000jj-00 delayed 360 ho…

Autor: Toralf Lund
A: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: [Exim] Fwd: Warning: message 19RjU9-0000jj-00 delayed 360 hours
--
This [see attached message] is something I get frequently being the
postmaster of our domain (postmaster receives messages for root.) I've

Background:
1. Local deliveries are disabled (simply by leaving "local_domains"
empty); all messages are forwarded to a central server - the MX for our
domain returned by DNS lookup.
2. The host in question is sometimes disconnected from the main LAN in
order to do some jobs on an isolated network (for security reasons.)
3. When on the isolated net, e-mail is not expected to work. Some messages
will, however, still be sent by "cron" etc. These are left in the local
spool of the host because the MX can't be reached. When the host is
re-connected to the main net, those messages are delivered.
4. As the messages are kept in the queue, warning messages about delivery
delays are generated by Exim. These are also added to the queue, and
delivered when the host is reconnected to the main net.

Now, 1-3 above is roughly the behaviour I want, but I'd rather not have
all the warnings described in 4. In fact, they are completely meaningless,
since I won't read them until the message is actually disabled.

Is there any way to disable the generation of these warnings, or avoid
having them delivered to me? I think someone suggested local delivery of
root's e-mail earlier, but this seems like a bad idea as I don't want to
log in on each and every host on our net all the time to inspect log
messages etc. Is there another way?

I'm using Exim 3.33.

- Toralf