Re: [Exim] Question about vdomain/PAM/SMTPAuth support in 4.…

Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
A: Cory Daehn
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Question about vdomain/PAM/SMTPAuth support in 4.20
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Cory Daehn wrote:

> --
> is it complicated to set up PAM/SMTPauth/vdomain in exim 4.20, is there a
> simple step-by-step instruction list? would it be easier to use PAM or just
> use /etc/shadow? will PAM read the /etc/vmail/domain.passwd &
> /etc/vmail/domain.shadow for user authentication?
>
> I'm using the virtual domains as set up by linuxconf.

You can't "just use /etc/shadow" with exim.
Exim is very security concious, and is not running as root when it
would need to access /etc/shadow; therefore it needs help to read
that file. One solution to this problem is http://www.e-admin.de/pam_exim/

I don't know how this extends to vdomains.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna