RE: [Exim] Internal vs External email

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Gary van Blerk
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Internal vs External email
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Gary van Blerk wrote:

> >Why don't you don't you do that in the RCPT acl? Exim won't generate a
> >bounce, but the bounce message generated by the sending SMTP server
> >will include the warning issued by your exim with the "message=..."
> >directive.
>
> That's another problem. If I have an incoming email with more than 1
> recipient and one of those recipients isn't supposed to get mail, then
> the remote mailer is given 550 "custom message about insufficient
> rights" and that session is "unexpectedly" disconnected according to the
> logs.
>
> I need a mechanism where Exim can accept the email and process each
> recipient address one at a time.

You give the 550 response *to the RCPT command*.
Therefore the sending MTA generates a bounce message
***for that recipient***. It will (unless it is broken) continue
giving RCPT commands to your server for other address, which will be
accepted if they are people who are allowed to recieve mail.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna