[Exim] Deferred delivery to user account with /dev/null as h…

Author: Eli
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Deferred delivery to user account with /dev/null as home dir
I've got some systems going nuts with deferred deliveries to my "http" user
account, which is what Apache runs as (and what PHP runs under). Users are
sending emails with PHP, and some are bouncing back to the server, so they
are returned to http@servername. Problem is that the user doesn't have a
real home directory, it's just used for the uid/gid for permissions, so Exim
seems to constantly defer delivery for emails destined to this user.

I thought that by having the home directory as /dev/null (and it's shell is
/bin/false), that Exim would see that it could never deliver email for this
user (since local delivery is set to drop mail in the home dir) and just
fail it after one try. Instead, the .forward rule is deferring email
constantly, which is filling up my drive with emails for a user who will
never get them.

I've now removed the queue files and put "http" as a never_users entry, but
I was wondering if there's a better fix (an entry in /etc/aliases maybe)?

Eli.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses]