Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores
> You guys should stop catering to the idiots. All you're doing is adding
> to their "proof" that they don't have to fix their hostnames.
>
> Communications protocols are not helped, in the long run, by being lax
> in what they accept, especially when they communicate with badly behaved
> junk that is not very strict in what it sends. (RFC 3117 Section 4.5)
>
> I.e. the so-called "Robustness Principle" is almost totally useless on
> the modern public Internet where all the idiots are running badly
> behaved software -- i.e. software that is not strict in what it sends.

I fully agree here. There's a problem. Some companies will decide (the one
that would be 'currently' using exim) to go to something that will 'cater'
to these idiots. They don't care about standards or internet protocol, they
only care about getting their business. I know, I work for such a company
and I've not told them that such a workaround exists to allow an _ in helo.

By the way, someone asked if a server just stops in responce to 501 on helo,
yes it does. Or atleast I think that specific serer is exchange.