Re: [Exim] limitations with embedded Perl

Author: Andrew - Supernews
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] limitations with embedded Perl
>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Diehl <mdiehl@???> writes:

Mike> As I recall, you were able to specify which DBM library you
Mike> wanted to use in perl. Are you using the same one that exim
Mike> was compiled with? Just a thought...

it may be more likely to work if you're using a different one,
specifically one which defines different entry point function
names. Usually the part where embedded Perl functionality breaks
(speaking from general experience of embedding Perl, not regarding
exim specifically since I've not tried using Perl with it yet) is when
you try and dynamically load an XS module (such as one of the DB
modules) which conflicts in some way with functions in the main
executable.

DB_File loads Berkeley DB, the specific version loaded depending on how
the DB_File module was compiled.

I'm not a big fan of using embedded Perl functionality to do
non-trivial work (and anything which involves using XS modules that
depend on external libraries can be considered non-trivial). At that
point you are better off looking at talking to a separate process via
some IPC mechanism.

--
Andrew, Supernews