[Exim] Very simple flat-file db?

Author: Eli
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Very simple flat-file db?
I just decided to manage my allowed relay hosts in a separate file where I
can also put comments more easily and have the IPs line by line, rather than
all on one line like it would be in the config file directly. I was reading
up on the simple text lsearch stuff for flat files, but I couldn't find
anything that would make the kind of list I wanted as simple as possible.

I first thought I could structure the file like:

<sender_host_name>: list of ip addresses

But all our relay servers we'll be using would end up with a reverse entry
of the same thing (we do this because a piece of registered software works
by hostname configured in the smtp software, and so we just set all our
servers to that same name and modify reverse dns, so reverse dns is actually
faked in a way, and can't be used).

So, what I have now is pretty much what the example in the docs have:

hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : ${lookup {$sender_host_address}
lsearch{/etc/exim-relays}}

And the /etc/exim-relays is just:

<ip address>: <the same ip address>

Now, my only grief is that I maintain that list by hand, and I'm *really*
lazy so I was wondering if there's any way we can have the file even simpler
with entries like:

<ip address>
<another ip address>

# a comment

<more ips...>

Is this type of format possible? If so, how would I use it to create a
hostlist of allowable relay servers?

Eli.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses]