Re: [Exim] limitations with embedded Perl

Author: Mike Diehl
To: Mike Scott, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] limitations with embedded Perl
On Wednesday 25 June 2003 09:08 am, Mike Scott wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Finally, someone else that uses the embedded Perl!! Yes, I too had it
> operational quickly (more like 30 mins for me ;-{). Things went wrong when
> I tried to go beyond "Hello World" however.
> Very specifically, accessing DBM files. The two ways in Perl are 'tie' and
> 'dbmopen()', both of which cause the Perl{} expansion in the Exim filter to
> fail. I'm into this for more hours than I care to admit, but the potential
> is so alluring....

Well, I saw the embeded perl as a module. So, have you writen a standalone
program which requires your exim perl module and uses it's functions? If so,
does the standalone program work?

If the standalone program doesn't work, well there you go.

If it does work, then it may actually be something about being imbeded that is
killing it. But I can't imagine that.

Alternatively, you might just try to use a flat file for data access. Or try
DBI::Sprite. I intend to use Postgresql.

Yes, there are a LOT of things you can do with this that you couldn't do with
exim's internal capabilities, or at least not in a readable fashion.

Exim ROCKS!

Mike.