Re: [Exim] exim and exim_dumpdb use different Berkeley DB ve…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Matthias Waffenschmidt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim and exim_dumpdb use different Berkeley DB version
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Matthias Waffenschmidt wrote:

> I'm no C expert at all, but I do not understand why exim and
> exim_dumpdb use different functions. The only thing I can imagine is
> that the DB parts of the two programs differ in some way.

They share code, in fact.

> After I remove the system Berkeley DB include file /usr/include/db.h,
> exim_dumpdb fails to compile, because it cannot find a db.h, but the
> file /client/include/db.h exists and LOOKUP_INCLUDE=-I/client/include
> is defined in Local/Makefile. Why is the compilation of exim_dumpdb
> ignoring this option?

LOOKUP_INCLUDE is the special include file for lookup modules in Exim
(e.g. mysql, LDAP). Confusingly, it doesn't apply to basic DBM code
which is used also for other things. Try setting INCLUDE and DBMLIB
instead. For example, this is what I currently have:

USE_DB=yes
INCLUDE=-I/opt/local/include/db-4.1
DBMLIB=/opt/local/lib/db-4.1/libdb.a

(Use the correct paths on your host, of course!)