[Exim] Newby question for address directing / routing

Author: ojaeger
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Newby question for address directing / routing
Hi,

I'm using exim 3.35 on a Debian Woody box. Exim is configured to route all
mails to a smarthost. The machine is processing mail from a python script
for external delivery or for faxing by a hylafax fax server. In the future
the faxmail gateway should be used from other machines in our local net.

My problem is how to transform an address like
user.FAX.123456789@host[.domain] to be processed by pipe transport (the
digits represent the fax number to be used by faxmail / hylafax).

In the Hylafax FAQ I found a solution for exim when invoked on the local
machine. These rules work on addresses like user@???. But this
can't be used for other host on the local net.

The following rules are successfully applied for local invocation.

transport section:
--------------
fax:
driver = pipe
user = cpd
command ="/usr/bin/faxmail -d ${local_part}@${extract{1}{.}{$domain}}"
home_directory = /usr/bin

router section:
----------
fax:
driver = domainlist
transport = fax
route_list ="*.fax"

But how to do with adresses mentioned above? Unfortunally my knowledge
about exim is very poor and the documention is very detailed and a bit
confusing for me. In short I did not succeed in any way.

I tried something shown below to filter the local_part, but nothing
happend. (All smarthost rules were always put on the end of each section
for directors and routers so that this rules should apply ?)

fax:
driver = domainlist
transport = fax
route_list ="*.FAX.*@*"

An address rewriting rule like

*.FAX.*@??? $1@$2.fax Ffr

for further local processing through the working local rules does nothing
either :-(

Any ideas how to cope the problem?

Thanks in advance

Olaf Jäger