Re: [Exim] malformed macro definition

Author: Mark Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] malformed macro definition
On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 03:55 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Mark Edwards wrote:
>
>> I've started getting these warnings out of the blue when starting exim
>> from the /System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail script on an
>> OSX Server box:
>>
>> 2003-06-13 17:55:16 Exim configuration error in line 41:
>>    malformed macro definition

>> If I start exim directly with
>>
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h
>>
>> There is no error in the log.
>
> What's in the /System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail script?
>
>> Exim seems to start fine, and behave
>> properly, it just gives this error. I can't figure out what line 41
>> its referring to. Line 41 of my configure file is just a comment, and
>> removing it or moving it has no effect -- still the complaint about
>> line 41.
>
> That suggests it is somehow being given the wrong configuration file.

Duh, this was an obvious one that I just missed. The Sendmail startup
script contained two commands:

     /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h
     /usr/sbin/sendmail -C /etc/mail/submit.cf -q1h

The second one was causing the problem, obviously. That got slipped in
there by Apple at some point and I didn't see it when I checked before.
I commented it out, and no more complaints. I don't think it was
causing any trouble, it was just firing up a second exim which promptly
failed when it got a look at /etc/mail/submit.cf (I had a horrible
sendmail flashback when I did a cat on that thing).

Thanks for your attention, Philip!

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA