[Exim] MTA hangs when a default gateway is defined

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Claves do Amaral
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] MTA hangs when a default gateway is defined
Hello,
I have a notebook with Debian 3.0 and exim version 3.35 as MTA.
When I boot the system, before I connect to a Lan, I give at the
prompt:

$ mailq

The command returns immediately, giving me the queue of messages. When
I send a message using mutt, it is accepted by the MTA immediately.
Exim is not trying to resolve any domain nor send mail to anyone.
The /etc/resolv.conf is:

search my.office.domain\000
nameserver 10.7.8.21
nameserver 10.11.16.11

The /etc/hosts is:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.1     aprile          aprile.localdomain

At the moment the route -n command gives:

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0 eth0

when I connect to my company Lan and I configure the routing with
Dhclient the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts files are identical, but
the routing table is now:

#route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
10.7.8.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.248.0   U     0      0
0 eth0
0.0.0.0         10.7.15.254     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
0 eth0

The command

$mailq

hangs a minute (more or less) before returning and I experience the
same behaviour in many other operations involving the MTA (sending a
message, removing a message,...).

Exim tries to resolve the remote MTA and it fails (freezing all
messages in queue). From /var/log/exim/mainlog:

2003-06-18 17:38:39 19Sd2i-0000Ed-00 == cicciopasticcio@???
R=smarthost defer (-1): lookup of host "libero.it" failed in smarthost
router

Do you think the problem may arise because the my.office.domain DNS
doesn't recognise me as part of its own domain?

So, how may I configure my system to be part of my.office.domain?

How may I tell exim not to perform any query nor try to send any message
If I am part of my.office.domain?

thank you in advance,
CdA