Re: [Exim] MX record of 100

Author: Sander Smeenk
To: Joseph Kezar
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] MX record of 100
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:47:44AM -0400, Joseph Kezar wrote:

> My exim server is not sending alot of mail to 1 particular mail
> server, It gets frozen in queue. The MX record of bop.gov is set to
> 100. Exim refuses with: "MX=100 ** unusable *"

I think because of this:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
bop.gov.                86400   IN      MX      5 mail.bop.gov.
bop.gov.                86400   IN      MX      100 mail.uuet.

$ host mail.bop.gov
mail.bop.gov            A       206.138.130.2

$ host mail.uuet
mail.uuet does not exti, try again

mail.uuet is a nonexistant host. uuet is no top level domain.
exim can't find the IP address, so it tells you that MX record is
unusable.

> Is there anyway I can tell exim that this MX record is okay? If you
> do a 'dig -t MX bop.gov' you will see there is an MX of 5 and an IP
> address for it 206.138.130.2, but I am not sure why it is not using
> this record instead, doesnt MX use the lowest number first?

Exim tries the LOWEST numbered MX record first.
And that MX record is not okay, unless you have configured a nameserver
in your own network to serve the uuet TLD.

I think you made typo's in your nameserver's zone file.