Re: [Exim] availability of 'routed' address in local_scan

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ollie Cook
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] availability of 'routed' address in local_scan
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Ollie Cook wrote:

> Our configuration often causes recipient addresses to be re-routed, possibly
> multiple times. During ACLs when an address is verified, it seems that as soon
> as one router accepts the address, the ACL considers the address verified.

[I have been away in Uganda for two weeks, teaching at an Internet
workshop, and am just catching up on a backlog of email. Hence this late
response to your message.]

That is true, if the router generates more than one address. It
shouldn't be the case if the router generates just one address.

In other words, an alias to one address is treated as a true alias, and
the result is verified; an alias to multiple addresses is treated as a
mini mailing list, and the fact that the list exists is taken as enough
verification.

>  * first traversal:
>    - "sales@???" satisfies "corp_aliases" redirect router which
>      replaces the addresses with "a_user@???" and
>      "b_user@???"

Aha! Two generated addresses. That's consistent with what is supposed to
happen.

> What I was hoping to achieve is to be able to have the finally routed addresses
> (postmaster@???, and a_user@???) available in the
> local_scan function by some means.

That's getting too complicated, basically...

> I guess what I'm looking for is some mechanism of retrieving the same addresses
> that would be generated from a call to "exim -bt" from within the local_scan
> function. e.g.:

> Does what I describe fit in with the Exim model?

Not at all well. Though I guess (at some cost) you can always call "exim
-bt" from within local_scan...

Philip