Re: [Exim] SMTP error from remote mailer after initial conne…

Author: Ronny Vaningh
To: J. Nick Koston
CC: Exim List
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection on a 220
Maybe exim expects something as described in RFC2821

220 <domain> Service ready

However
Greeting = "220 " Domain [ SP text ] CRLF
      Reply-line = Reply-code [ SP text ] CRLF

where "Greeting" appears only in the 220 response that announces that
the server is opening its part of the connection.

An SMTP server SHOULD send only the reply codes listed in this
document. An SMTP server SHOULD use the text shown in the examples
whenever appropriate.

An SMTP client MUST determine its actions only by the reply code, not
by the text (except for the "change of address" 251 and 551 and, if
necessary, 220, 221, and 421 replies); in the general case, any text,
including no text at all (although senders SHOULD NOT send bare
codes), MUST be acceptable. The space (blank) following the reply
code is considered part of the text. Whenever possible, a receiver-
SMTP SHOULD test the first digit (severity indication) of the reply
code.

This indicated according to me it should accept also a 220 that does not completely
conforms to the 220 domain syntax
But take into account the "if necessary 220 clause in above statement"

I think exim finds it neccessary ... polite people should formally introduce themselves

Ronny