Re: [Exim] Exim 4.14 problem

Author: John Dalbec
To: Adam Moffett
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.14 problem
Adam Moffett wrote:
> Can you configure your POP-before-SMTP software to put IP addresses in
> the host file instead of DNS names? That would avoid the issue altogether.

True. Currently I've configured my POP-before-SMTP software to do a
gethostbyname() and ignore the hostname if it doesn't resolve.

Also I'm looking at changing my exim configuration to use
lsearch;/path/to/file instead of just /path/to/file. That way (AIUI)
Exim will do reverse lookups instead of forward lookups (which should
succeed since that's where the IMAP/POP servers get the hostnames).

> I also suggest using SMTP AUTH instead of or in addition to this. From
> what I've heard, POP before SMTP can be troublesome.

I've implemented SMTP AUTH PLAIN and LOGIN. Unfortunately, SMTP AUTH
doesn't seem to work for some clients. I understand some versions of
Outlook don't implement SMTP AUTH correctly. Maybe they're looking for
me to advertise both AUTH LOGIN and AUTH=LOGIN?

Thanks for your help,
John Dalbec