Re: [Exim] brightmail integration with exim

Author: John Jetmore
To: Ronny Vaningh
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] brightmail integration with exim
On 11 Jun 2003, Ronny Vaningh wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anybody integrated exim and brightmail.
> I the archives I've found 2 relevant posts of Nigel but nothing really
> conclusive.
>
> I assume it would be possible to do this through local scan but I'm not
> l33t enough to start writing it myself.
>
> So can it be done, has it been done and how could it be done ?
>
> If somebody has already tried it please could you share your experiences
> with me.
>
> All of the commercial Anti Spam stuff seems to integrate with milter in
> some way ... and I don't want to abandon the exim track I'm currently
> pushing.

My company has done it. Brightmail's new API is fairly robust and allows
direct communication w/ their backend server, so you don't need the
plugnplay milter stuff. What we actually do is put mail through BM first,
and if it's flagged we reject up front, otherwise we then put the mail
through spamassassin and score it, rejecting up front for very high
scores, otherwise flagging it and passing it on.

I don't think I'm allowed to release the code, but it was only a week or
so's work to put all that plus optin/out handling into local_scan

--John