Re: [Exim] Missing Emails - no immediate delivery

Author: Cheong Ket Vin
To: exim-users, Sander Smeenk, Andreas Metzler, Cheong Ket Vin
Subject: Re: [Exim] Missing Emails - no immediate delivery
I tried to stop the amavis virus scanner justnow by typing "/usr/sbin/amavis stop"
then i try to start it back by "/usr/sbin/amavis stop"
it seems ok, but when i check the log file, the amavis seems didn't started yet.

2003-06-11 12:03:04 19Pwp7-00053K-00 == xxxxxx@??? R=amavis_director T=amavis defer (0): Child process of amavis transport returned 75 (could mean temporary error) from command: /usr/sbin/amavis
2003-06-11 12:03:10 19PwpI-00055m-00 == xxxxxx@??? R=amavis_director T=amavis defer (0): Child process of amavis transport returned 75 (could mean temporary error) from command: /usr/sbin/amavis

And it is still having problem now, so is that anything that i type wrong ? or if there's any better way to restart amavis.

Thanks

Quoting Cheong Ket Vin (ketvin@???):
> 2003-06-09 17:26:40 19PIvH-0001ZH-00 <= xxxxxx@??? U=amavis
> P=scanned-ok S=8065 id=03e901c32e69$216189b0$0200a8c0@THOSAPHOL
> 2003-06-09 17:26:40 19PIvH-0001ZH-00 no immediate delivery: load average
> 20.66
>
> All the ips listed is not any of my mail server user.

They don't necessarily have to be the ip's of any of your mailservers.

It's just exim telling you it queued a message it received, either from
localhost, or remote host, because it found out the load on your machine
is high, and it wants to save resources.

But I also see you use 'amavis' the virus scanner. And with high loads
of emails, amavis could well be the 'culprit' in causing high load on
your system.

> I just wonder how come other ip appear in my exim log file.

Because other IP's deliver mail to your mailserver, aparently.

> And I do suspect that those ips flood the queue and causes my
> user's emails stucked and frozen. Am i right ?

Maybe someone is doing a spamrun on (one of?) your domain(s).
Then you'll receive a high volume of email in a short time.
Seeing that you use amavis to scan the email, my thought are that
amavis causes the high load, and exim stops delivering messages due to
that.

> Is there anything i can do to block those ip, or change my setting that only
> local user can use the smtp things?

Read the documentation. It's well documented on how to deny connections
from certain (ranges of) ip's. I'm not here to configure your exim, am I?

> how to change the settings that trigger exim into queueing or not accepting
> mail at certain loadaverages ?

See above. Read the documentation on www.exim.org. There's a lot of
useful settings.

> Please help, thank you.

What you need to do is find out why the load on your machine is so high.
See what causes the load, with top(1) or ps(1). Then try to fix that.
If indeed it is amavis, or spamassassin, try to tome them down, try
disabling them for a couple of hours, see what happens.

You need to 'investigate' your system, instead of hoping I will fix it. :)

Sander.
--