Re: [Exim] Enabling wildlsearch as default in packages

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Sheldon Hearn
To: Christopher Allen [BigFatPipe.Net]
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Enabling wildlsearch as default in packages
On (2003/06/06 19:00), Christopher Allen [BigFatPipe.Net] wrote:

> I guess my question would be -- is it necessary to get the application to
> run under the FreeBSD system? (Calculated answer being no.)
>
> I may stand alone here, and if so it'll take less flames to quiet me down,
> but I view the FreeBSD ports collection as an adaption against source code
> _specifically_ to make things easier to compile and install. IMHO, the
> ports collection is about runability and not feature set. I may be wrong
> in doing so, but everything I've installed, I've treated as "with the
> options that are in the source except where it breaks under FreeBSD."

You're only half wrong. :-)

Yes, ports were originally intended as build and install wrappers that
got software onto your system in a FreeBSD-friendly way.

However, they're also the vehicle for package delivery, both for CDROM
and DVD media releases and for the FTP servers.

Given that the port drives the creation of the exim package that you get
on the first CDROM or DVD of a "boxed" release, I've opted for quite a
"kitchen sink" approach, for the benefit of administrators who want to
use a FreeBSD release to "produce" a useful Exim mail server with very
little effort.

So I'm bending the rules with the port, but I feel okay about it. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.